Tuesday, September 4, 2007

New Bush book, Robert Draper's Dead Certain

Not sure if you've read Robert Draper's brand spankin' new Bush book DEAD CERTAIN: The Presidency of George W. Bush, but I've been hearing some discussion about this book where I live here in DC. There's plenty of GW biographies out there from the left and right sides, though I don't know if any one of them had the access to all the one-on-one interviews Robert Draper has had. Draper personally interviews George W. and Laura Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Condoleeza Rice, Karl Rove, and perhaps 200 other key players in the Bush Administration.

I haven't read this myself yet but from what I'm hearing, the most fascinating information in the book deals with how Bush delegated the decision to disband the Iraqi military after the invasion. Something that's arguably considered a mistake now since many of the former Iraqi soldiers went on to join the insurgency. Laura Bush's enmity towards Karl Rove was another very juicy tidbit.

I may have to check out this book, I'm certainly intrigued. By the way, what a great title. DEAD CERTAIN, I love it...

I recall when the country was up in arms about Bill Clinton sleeping with an intern and then lying about it. I abhor all politicians and I hate the extremes on both sides of the aisle, but if I'm going to be realistic about this, I have to wonder which was the lesser evil. Having Bush embroil us in Iraq on the claim of nuclear weapons or Bill Clinton sleeping around and then lying about it? One ill-researched decision based on misinformation affects many countries and various peoples while the other affects a specific family. I love how Bush and the republicans ran on bringing integrity back to Washington D.C. in 2000, and now we have over 10 republican legislators mired in sex scandals including ex- Idaho Senator Larry Craig.

Have a few hours to kill at the airport?

No comments: